Monday, March 16, 2009

Day before Surgery

Hi All~

I thought it would be a good idea to capture my experience of my hip surgery.  Today is March 16, 2009, the day before surgery.  After 6 years of hip pain, I have decided to have a right total hip replacement.  Here is a little background for you...

I danced all my life -ballet, jazz, modern, tap, broadway, etc.  During my college years, I noticed this dulling pain in my right hip.  (I was a Dance & Communications major at Montclair State University).  I realized both my outward and inward rotation was becoming very limited.  Furthermore, I was unable to shift my weight to my right supporting hip.  

I began to see many orthopedics, getting various opinions.  Most felt I had AVN -Avascular Necrosis.  This is when the blood does not get to the bone -which leads to no cartilage.  The causes of AVN could be steroid use, excessive alcohol abuse, or just an unknown reason -that's me!  I developed AVN for no reason -quite frustrating.

So here I am 6 years later.  Through the years, the pain has become increasingly worse.  However, some days are just fine -this is why I never knew if I was ready for not.  Although, when I think about all of the activities I don't do because I know of the pain that will follow, it saddens me.  I'm 27 years old, and would like to enjoy normal activities without the pain afterwards.  After much contemplating, I decided NOW is the time!

I am off to complete some last minute things before tomorrow -oil change, food shopping, cleaning, etc (not that my car is going to be moving for 6 weeks -but I would like it done for when I able to drive).

My anticipated recovery time is about 8 weeks -can't drive till 6 weeks, but back to work in 8 weeks.  The full restrictions are lifted at 12 weeks. 

Well, that's about it.  I will post after the surgery!

3 comments:

  1. Very soon you will finally be pain free!!
    Try to get to bed early tonight....we have an early start!
    luv your sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Melissa. I realize that tonight will be a long and frightful evening, but have faith. Even if your imagination gets cazy you will be in good hands. We at Bonesmart love and care about you and will be thinking and praying for your swift and hopefully painless recovery. Do keep us informed and thank you for inviting us to your blog. Love and Prayers...Nancyo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! your story is amazing! i'm in the same position as you! I'm a 27 year old female deciding to now have hip replacement. I was born with congential hip dysplasia and now the pain has gotten worse and my mobility is very limited! I'm freaking out about this surgery but i know this is something i have to do in order to live again! Your progress displayed on your blog is giving me hope! Thank you

    ReplyDelete